Tuesday, October 03, 2006

So out of the political loop.

President Bush visited our county today. This is the first trip EVER for an active president! We've had a few past presidents, but this was really a big deal. I thought it would be a once in a lifetime chance to see the motorcade and all the pomp and circumstance surrounding the visit, so I packed up Hayden and away we went.

I was grossly mistaken. I was shocked by the thousands of PROTESTERS! All the hysteria and profanity was sickening. I have no political views, and even if I hated President Bush, I think as an American, it’s exciting to see the President. But apparently I was one of maybe ten there who thought that. It was crazy! There were so many angry people. I heard the f-word so many times that it made me thankful that Dylan was unable to make it.

When we first arrived I felt proud to live in a country were we can have differing views and can feel safe expressing them. I took pictures of all the people holding their signs. Then I realized that there was not one supporting sign, all were protesting something.

Once we parked and found a spot along the road I realized that I was amongst the wrong crowd. Another mother with her daughter came over to me and asked if we wanted to sit with them because they were Pro-president… No she did not say Pro-Bush, just pro-president, and there was this awkward silence before someone from behind me started being rude. Maybe this was the wrong place to take a child, but I decided to stay because I wanted to see the president.

When the big choppers and Chinooks flew overhead carrying the President the crowd went crazy. A few minutes later the motorcade came by and I felt very patriotic. Then when I heard the booing and jeering, I felt bad for our lovely community.

My emotions were all over the map today. I felt proud to live in a country were we can all have a voice, but I also felt ashamed that people were so rude. There was one lone soldier wearing his army fatigues carrying a sign in support of the troops, people threw things at him and liberally cussed him out. I took a picture of him. He has just finished two years in Iraq. He deserved more.


2 Comments:

At 1:32 PM, Blogger SuburbanMom said...

Wow, I think it is fine to disagree with your government, but people shouldn't act like animals. That is horrid that they threw things at the soldier. Why would anyone do that. I would go shake his hand.

 
At 6:53 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My jaw is literally hanging open. People threw things at him? Booed him? Those idiots need to know what it would be like to live in a country without a volunteer army sacrificing FOR their freedom. My stomach has a sick sour feeling now.

That must have been such a disappointing sight. Thank you for sharing your experience though. It opened my eyes.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home