Saturday, August 25, 2007

I love show tunes!


On Wednesday evening I took Dylan to see High School Musical on stage. And I fell in love, (no, not with Troy, ok maybe a little with Troy…), but with the singing and dancing. There are no words to explain the feeling that enters my soul when I hear 40 people sing their hearts out. Now add to this that this cast was kids, you can imagine what a wonderful experience we had.

I have always loved going to see shows. My first was Evita at the Dorothy Chandler Pavilion in Los Angeles. At 7 or 8, I felt so grown up going with my parents for a special night out. When the lights went down and the music started I felt a little scared and then overwhelmed with the music and signing. I wanted to get up and dance, too. I still sing, “Don’t cry for me Argentina” whenever my kids cry.

My life has been very blessed because I have been able to see many productions since that first one so many years ago. I’ve seen Phantom of the Opera and A Chorus Line in Los Angeles; Cats, Les Miserables and Man of La Mancha in San Francisco; Sunset Boulevard in New York, the Lion King in Sacramento and Metropolis in London.

Watching Dylan fall in love with the theater was one of the most gratifying moments in my life. She was so excited and couldn’t sit still. She cheered in the right places and clapped her heart out at the end. This makes me want to work harder to ensure she has the same opportunities I have had. I can’t wait to take her to experience many more performances just to watch the ecstatic look on her face during the first few notes of the opening song.

Do you love the theater, too?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home