Sunday, July 29, 2007

Lost

Lost can mean so many things. Lost is a feeling, and a place, and where the diamond to my engagement ring now resides. The diamond my husband spent time picking out, the diamond he designed an engagement ring around is now gone, sitting on the ground somewhere, or maybe in a landfill. It could even be rolling around in my car, or be living in my housekeeper’s vacuum. Or maybe it is in the vacuum at the car wash. Maybe it is in a friend’s pool filter, or down the drain in my new bathroom. The key here is that I only know where it isn’t…. on my hand, in my engagement ring!!!!

I feel lost without it. I feel a strong sense of ominous loss. This has nothing to do with the replacement value and all about the emotional value. I can NEVER replace the diamond that my sweet husband chose for me. The diamond that absorbed all the excitement at the moment he asked me to marry him, the diamond that has been there every moment over the past 8 years of my life, and the diamond I made a special bequest of to my oldest daughter in my trust documents is gone.

It’s been two weeks and I still search the driveway, and my car, and the bedspread everyday. And I feel so sad, like I’m grieving and I can’t get over it.

4 Comments:

At 8:43 PM, Blogger tommie said...

so sorry, I bet you will always be looking for it.

My husband lost his wedding band last summer. We told the packers that if they found it while they were packing our stuff we would offer a reward....no one found it. He didn't want to deploy without one, so we got a simple platinum band.

I often wonder if it might be in a couch or somewhere!

 
At 10:10 PM, Blogger CarrieB said...

I wish it would just jump out at you! I know you are upset about this. Such a bummer! You are so good about wearing it everyday. I dont' think I've worn mine in 7 years. I'm bad. I bought a $45 plain white gold band and I've started to wear that daily. I want a wedding band on my hand, I just don't like anything making me feel confined. I'm wierd. I know.

Sending you lost and found vibes!

 
At 9:34 AM, Blogger Mygreenearth said...

Oh Kathy
Sorry,
I lost mine shortly after having Emelie. I find it fortunately. But I remember the frantic searching. I ended up finding mine under the seat of the car. My hands were really cold and it must have slipped off when i reached into my purse to get something. I hope that you find it.

 
At 7:40 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Oh hon, that sucks. I hope, against all odds, that you find that one. It's hard to believe that so much emotion can be stowed in such a small and concrete thing.

P.S. I'm off to find you on My Space... :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home